Last Updated on by
Living with and supporting someone you love with a psychological condition can be a real challenge. You want to be supportive and promote their recovery, however, you are always worrying that you will say something inappropriate. A psychological condition is an extremely difficult obstacle for many, which is why we have gathered a few ways in which you can show your support in an effective and loving manner:
- Listening is the most important thing you can do. Rather than pushing a loved one to open up about their illness, simply wait for them to feel confident enough to discuss it with you – and when they do, make sure to simply listen.
- Sometimes, words are too much in a situation like this. In combination with listening, holding someone when they are feeling down or are experiencing an episode is the best way to show your support and how much you care.
- Even on the worst of days, you must remain positive. Some days will be harder than others, but with the right treatment in combination with a strong support system, your loved one will get better over time.
- This is inherently a frustrating process, however, you must remain patient at all times. Often, those with mental illness will say hurtful things in the heat of the moment that they do not truly mean. It is up to you to remain calm and patient during the most difficult of times.
- Even if the answer is “fine” day after day, keep asking how they are. When they are ready to open up and discuss their feelings, they will. You just have to patiently wait while remaining persistent.
- Whenever possible, try to lighten up the mood and make for a pleasant experience. Even if they claim they do not want to leave the house, try to take them to do their favorite thing or indulge on their favorite food.
- Most importantly – be there. Your presence, patience, and persistence will pay off in the long run.
The list of different types of psychological conditions is extensive, and unfortunately, not all affected by psychological conditions are receiving the care they need and deserve. At Inspire Malibu, we go above and beyond to assess the exclusive needs of the individual and provide viable treatment options that meet those unique needs. The majority of those affected by a psychological condition actually have a co-occurring disorder, which is our expertise. We will take the time to assess, accurately diagnose, and treat you until you feel whole again. Mental illness is conquerable when you choose to invite the experienced team of professionals at Inspire Malibu to help treat your condition.
You might also be interested in:
Inspire Malibu is the premier Non 12 Step, drug, alcohol, and detox treatment center in Malibu California founded by triple board certified addiction specialist Dr. Akikur Mohammad. Our state-of-the-art treatment program combines the latest scientific research with proven, evidence-based therapies to address both alcohol and substance abuse successfully.
Inspire Malibu is Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited , Legit Script Certified, and has been designated a Higher Level of Care from the Department of Health Care Services. We are also uniquely qualified to address dual diagnosis disorders.