Last Updated on February 19, 2021 by Inspire Malibu
With the holiday season just around the corner, many alcoholics are fearful for what can seem like the least joyous time of the year. The common saying, “Eat, drink, and be merry” seems to keep everyone’s spirits lifted, but knowing how much you have accomplished in the past year in conquering your addiction can leave you dreading the holidays. Rather than allowing the holidays to tempt your chemical dependency for alcohol, it is important that you remember the holiday cheer involves showing those you love how thankful you are to have them in your life. There are a variety of ways in which you can remain sober and continue conquering your addiction during the holidays, including:
- During this time, you may be experiencing feelings of temptation. However, surrounding yourself around sober people and your support system during this time can help remind you why you got sober in the first place.
- Rather than walking around without a drink at your family’s holiday party, enjoy an ice-cold soda! Having a beverage in hand in place of your craving can prove to keep temptations down.
- Managing your stress comes hand in hand with managing your alcoholism. Therefore, it is important that you make a conscious effort to reduce your stress during this time. If you typically run a mile every time you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed by your addiction, run two miles each day during the holidays.
- It is important that you reward yourself whenever you pass up a drink. This may mean keeping your favorite peppermint candies in your pocket during the holidays so you can indulge whenever you make the right decision.
- As determined as you are to fight this addiction, you must always have a Plan B. Entrust a friend or someone else in your support group who understands how far along you have come and call them if you are in an environment where you feel your temptations cannot be controlled.
Despite common American notion, there are a variety of ways to cool down after a long day in the office and relieve stress other than with drugs and alcohol. Individuals who assume pills, joints, cocktails, or any other drug is the only way to relieve their stress often continue on dangerous paths towards addiction. Rather than concluding your day with drugs or alcohol, we suggest you try one of the following alternative solutions.
Ways to Relax and Relieve Stress Without Drugs or Alcohol
- Read a compelling book of your favorite genre
- Take a long walk around your neighborhood
- Visit a local zoo or museum
- Relive childhood memories and play in the dirt, planting colorful plants in your yard
- Listen to your favorite band
- Practice yoga
- call a friend
- Go on a run or partake in any type of exercise
- Swim a few laps to blow off some steam
- Practice controlled breathing
- Cook your favorite home cooked meal
- Volunteer for a local charity event
- Write down all of your angry or stressful thoughts and dispose or tuck the paper away to read for another day
At Inspire Malibu, we are experienced in identifying and treating co-occurring disorders. While you may think that your daily cocktail is an appropriate way to relieve stress of everyday demands, alcohol has proven to be a gateway towards other dangerous substances. At Inspire Malibu, we understand that there is no cookie cutter treatment solution to addiction. Each patient’s needs are carefully evaluated in order for our knowledgeable team of physicians to determine an individualized approach to your treatment. As a leading, secular, non 12 step, drug and alcohol rehab center located near the beautiful California Coast, we have the ability to provide you with unique treatment solutions that will help you kick your addiction. Join us on the path to recovery!
At Inspire Malibu, we understand that certain times of the year make it more difficult to control your addiction. We formulate personalized treatment plans for each of our patients to ensure the most effective approach is used for the exclusive needs of the individual. We are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to ensure that you do not give into your temptations. If you or anyone you know is experiencing symptoms of addiction or relapse, please do not hesitate to give us a call. Conquering your addiction is possible when the most effective approach is taken.
You might also be interested in:
Inspire Malibu is the premier Non 12 Step, drug, alcohol, and detox treatment center in Malibu California led by board certified addiction specialist Dr. Matthew Torrington, MD. Our state-of-the-art treatment program combines the latest scientific research with proven, evidence-based therapies to address both alcohol and substance abuse successfully.
Inspire Malibu is Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited and has been designated a Higher Level of Care from the Department of Health Care Services. We are also uniquely qualified to address dual diagnosis disorders.