Inspire Malibu uses a non 12 step rehab model for treating drug and alcohol abuse. Our methods utilize proven clinical therapy, controlled self-empowerment and a science-based approach.
Non 12 Step Rehab Treatment Program
The primary goal of our evidence-based, and secular non 12 step rehab program is to teach our clients at an intellectual and emotional level how to best deal with addictive cravings and the motivating factors behind them so they can enjoy a life free from addiction.
Inspire Malibu uses complementary approaches to therapy, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET)
- Abstinence-based counseling
- Motivational effectiveness
- Family therapy
- Patient education
These methods are combined in a way that is most helpful to each individual, rather than forcing them into a set program.
Our methods do not require compliance to any one theoretical model or method of treatment. Each patient is evaluated with a full psychosocial and interpersonal assessment prior to treatment to determine a customized approach to recovery treatment. Our specialists then coordinate, assess progress, and make ongoing treatment decisions for the patient according to the patient’s customized recovery plan.
12 Step and Non 12 Step Treatment: What’s the Difference?
A 12 Step Program like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is based on following a set of recovery steps to maintain sobriety from alcohol or substance misuse. These programs require a spiritual approach and include support group meetings and an individual sponsor to help during difficult times. Most of the attention is from other members who are also in the program, but they usually don’t have medical experience or addiction training.
12 step programs are free to attend and can be effective for after treatment maintenance. We don’t use this type of program during treatment, but we support it for aftercare if it’s a good fit for our clients.
A Non 12 Step Program, on the other hand, follows a different model focused on evidence-based therapies and practices that have been proven over time to be effective for alcohol and substance addiction recovery. Inspire Malibu embraces the non 12 step model and utilizes a wide variety of treatment modalities such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, TMS Therapy, one on one AND group sessions, medication assisted treatment, and neurofeedback, among others.
In addition to the evidence-based treatment, we provide detox services and mental health therapies to those who have co-occurring disorders – a combination of mental health and addiction. It’s important to treat both issues at the same time. We believe a positive spiritual system is important, but we are a secular facility that allows people of all faiths and religions to take advantage of our services. Adherence to any specific religion is not required for successful treatment.
Our non 12 step rehab program treats addiction like any other medical disease with board certified doctors that specialize in addiction and psychiatry. We also have therapists trained in addiction and mental health on staff. Treating addiction like cancer, asthma, diabetes, and other health conditions is crucial for success. After non 12 step treatment has been completed, support groups that follow a 12 step model can be helpful for extending recovery and relapse prevention.
Five Core Areas of Psychological Functioning
Addiction is a chronic illness that must be addressed with proper treatment.
Our comprehensive, non 12 step recovery program has evolved over the past decade and utilizes a variety of best practices in substance abuse treatment.
Our recovery programs differ from other approaches in the focus on Five Core Areas of Psychological Functioning:
1. Balancing, identifying, and regulating all emotions, to avoid the traps of impulsivity and dumping anger on others.
2. Understanding and maintaining a secure sense of self. The stable self is a container with boundaries and limits and sensitive areas. Adults can become aware of how they are either affirmed or invalidated by others.
3. Identifying and not avoiding realistic conflict with others by learning conflict resolution skills.
4. Maintaining adequate self-care and meeting all clinical and nutritional needs.
5. Determining if substance use and depression or other mental health issues are present at the same time, known as dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorders.
Customization, experience and understanding make our approach to recovery treatment unique.
The cornerstone of our methodology is treating clients as individuals, not simply as members of a diagnostic classification. Extensive research has confirmed that no one approach to treatment is superior to all others and that effective treatment must be customized to meet individual goals and needs.
Our staff has experience in all areas of addiction treatment and use their expertise to help our patients.
The road to a successful recovery begins with a clinical diagnosis by a physician, psychiatrist, or psychologist and continues with a treatment plan specific to each individual patient.
Our Self-empowering Approach
Throughout the course of their recovery, our clients learn self-empowerment which helps them communicate and experience their thoughts and feelings properly, without the need to misuse a substance to deal with them. Self-empowerment also provides our patients with the inner strength they need to say no to addictive substances in the future.
We give our clients the psychological and emotional tools to function more effectively in life, and to help them grow in their relationships and careers.
Inspire Malibu is State Licensed by the Department of Health Care Services
- Board-certified in Addiction Medicine by the American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Board-certified in Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Named the Top Addiction Professional of the Year 2011 by Who’s Who in America
- Patients Choice Physician Award Recipient in 2011
- First physician in California to be licensed to use Suboxone for addiction treatment.
Why We Use Non 12 Step Treatment
We utilize Non 12 Step rehab programs because traditional 12 Step programs are focused on support rather than evidence-based treatment.
Many of our clients have come to us because they realized they needed to see a doctor more than they needed a meeting.
We created our Non 12 Step program treatment approach to meet the needs of patients who are serious about recovery. It has shown to be the most effective approach to overcoming alcoholism and drug addiction.
Our non 12 step, therapy-based program treats addiction as a chronic medical condition.
For those who prefer secular aftercare, we provide SMART Recovery aftercare classes to meet everyone’s preferences and needs, but patients who are responsive to the 12-step model are not discouraged from following it after their initial recovery from addiction is complete.
The 12-step model can be effective for a self-help group structure and to assist in recovery maintenance. It is certainly valid for those who have followed it and those it has helped. But there are several reasons why the 12-step model does not work well for all individuals which may include:
- Inability to deal with a group setting during initial withdrawal and treatment of addiction
- Having a problem with the Higher Power concept, either as a secular individual or as a religious person who believes in a different definition of a Higher Power
- The need for highly customized and specialized treatment for initial addiction recovery and management; each individual is different and does not fit a template
For more information about how our Non 12 Step Rehab Treatment Programs can help you live a normal and healthy life again call us at 800-444-1838