Curbing Cravings the Healthy Way
How to Kick Your Cravings to the Curb
There are a variety of stages and phases of sobriety, each bringing their own challenges to the process. One of the most difficult parts of sobriety tends to be cravings. Cravings are overwhelming desires for something, sometimes anything. In early sobriety, cravings can be even harder to curb since you are experiencing a sudden drop in your blood sugar levels by eliminating the sugar content of alcohol in your body. To fulfill the desire for sugar, many on the path to sobriety turn to unhealthy alternatives and sweets. Yes, it is better to crave sweets than alcohol, but there are other, healthier ways to curb these cravings.
Since your alcohol cravings are likely associated with the sudden drop in blood sugar, consuming foods that raise your blood sugar at a stable and consistent pace can help curb your alcohol cravings more effectively than a candy bar. Indulging on the following foods filled with complex carbohydrates can be the answer you have been searching for:
- Whole Grain Bread
- Raw Vegetables
- Whole Grains: Quinoa, Barley, Millet, Bulgar Wheat, Brown Rice, & Steel-Cut Oats
- Nuts: Flax-Seed, Cashews, Almonds, & Sunflower Seeds
However, sometimes it takes more than snacking on some cashews and raw vegetables to curb your alcohol cravings. To continue on the path to sobriety, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- It is important that you avoid situations, places, people, and times of day that are associated with alcohol consumption. It is not going to be easy for you to curb your alcohol cravings if you are at a party with all of your old drinking buddies.
- When you feel a craving coming on, talk about it, write about it, think about it, and anything else you can do to get it out in the open and distract yourself. Often, those trying to remain sober feel embarrassed to discuss their journey with their friends and family, when in reality, these conversations are imperative to a successful recovery.
- One of the easiest ways to curb your cravings for alcohol is to remain busy! This means getting involved! You can volunteer at a nonprofit organization to promote the overall well being of the greater good.
At Inspire Malibu, we hold effective treatment solutions that are customized to meet the unique treatment needs of each individual. We understand how overpowering cravings can be and will guide you on the journey of sobriety. It is no surprise that alcohol and drugs can destroy families, careers, relationships, and lives, and we are experienced in helping those consumed by drugs and alcohol to find the right treatment solution to transform their lives for the better. If you or someone you love is in need of treatment, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
You might also be interested in: